Breadcrumbs help your visitors and search engines to find their way around your website. The navigation paths are displayed instead of the URLs in mobile results from Google and are an important motor for mobile SEO. You see us with such a breadcrumb in the top left directly as a menu.
- First, set the name of your home page. It does not have to be Home, but may also contain your company name or appropriate and immediately understandable synonyms for your homepage. Keywords bring but little here.
- You can also define the separator individually. Unicode special characters also work here. A very extensive collection of special characters can be found here.
- Optionally, you can still style the last item easily. The option to automatically format the last item with an H1 header should only be enabled if your theme and content do not use the H1 item. We use the option with us to implement a bit more striking design and have no 0-8-15 menu in the header.
- Styling lets you define symbols and labels. The styling is self-explanatory and should of course match the design of your page.
- Finally, you position the breadcrumbs via PHP code, shortcode or widget visible in your WordPress theme or content: We have put together on GitHub all the visual codes for our SEO plugin.
To test the breadcrumbs, you use the Structured Data Testing Tool. There should be no errors on a subpage. Hints are not a problem.
Here you can find out everything about the breadcrumb formats of Google (via so-called structured data).